Piacentini & Son is a family-operated company with a history dating back to the 1940’s. Albert Piacentini was 16 years of age when he arrived in Western Australia from Italy in 1936.
By 1944 Albert was running his own timber mill in Dardanup and in 1949 was allocated a Cat D6 bulldozer on the condition he commit to clearing post-WWII soldier settlement land grants in the Margaret River area. Piacentini & Son’s involvement in mineral sands began in the 1950’s when Albert started to contract to Western Titanium, Cable Sands and Western Sands in the south west of Western Australia; the beginning of what was to become a long association with the mining industry.
Albert’s son Colin joined the family business and in 1969 Piacentini & Son purchased their first scraper. With no more than 10 employees based in a workshop at Yoganup, Piacentini & Son commenced mineral sands earthmoving. From this start the company continued to expand and Albert’s grandsons Brad and Kim also joined the family business. In 1998 the company relocated to their current premises in Picton, Western Australia and by 2001 a rapid expansion in the mining industry saw the company grow from 50 to over 300 personnel.
Piacentini & Son has come a long way from its humble inception, to emerge as a leader in the Australian mining and earthmoving industry. At the entrance to Piacentini & Son’s premises in Picton stands a reminder of the company’s beginnings – Albert Piacentini’s first bulldozer; restored, revitalised and resplendent.